Can a Rep Payee Establish a Trust?

I'm my sister's Representative Payee.  Can I establish a trust for her benefit using the money I receive from the Social Security Administration without having to get court approval first?

Your role as representative payee does not give you authority to establish a trust for her benefit. If she is not competent to execute the trust herself or grant you a durable power of attorney, you will have to go to court to create the trust. What benefits your sister needs and can qualify for may affect the form of the trust, or whether one is necessary at all.

For more about being a representative payee, click here.

Article Last Modified: 05/21/2015

Couldn't find the answer you were looking for? Let us help you.


Planners near Providence

  • Providence Special Needs Attorney James Mullen
    James Mullen
    Bristol, RI

  • Providence Special Needs Attorney Kevin Hackman
    Kevin Hackman
    Warwick, RI

  • Providence Special Needs Attorney Daniel Surprenant
    Daniel Surprenant
    New Bedford, MA