How Can I Specifically Disinherit a Person with Special Needs?

I am going to fund my son's special needs trust with a life insurance policy.  How do I make it clear that he is not supposed to get anything else from my estate?

Your attorney will typically draft a clause in your will (and possibly in your revocable trust as well) specifically leaving nothing to the child and explaining that he is going to be taken care of through other means.  This is not the same thing as completely disinheriting the child, which is not something that we recommend.  

Article Last Modified: 07/10/2015

Couldn't find the answer you were looking for? Let us help you.


Planners near Cortlandt Manor

  • Cortlandt Manor Special Needs Attorney Valorie Promisel
    Valorie Promisel
    Yorktown Heights, NY

  • Cortlandt Manor Special Needs Attorney Cormac McEnery
    Cormac McEnery
    Bronx, NY

  • Cortlandt Manor Special Needs Attorney Linnea Levine
    Linnea Levine
    Westport, CT