A new survey has shed light on the hiring practices of private home care agencies, and the news is not good.Read more
11 Questions to Ask a Potential Caregiver
If you've decided to hire a caregiver for a person with special needs, you'll need to interview the candidates. Here are eleven important questions to ask:
- Can you provide me with your full name, address, phone number, social security number and current photo ID so that I can run a background, including credit, check? (If interviewing an agency candidate, request contact information only.)
- Can you (your agency) provide me with copies of current documentation related to personal insurance, bonding, workers' compensation, and current health status (TB test, immunizations, etc.).
- Can you (your agency) show or provide me with current documentation related to specific services and assistance (autism care, CPR, etc.) you are trained/certified to provide?
- Tell me about your experience as an in-home aide how long you have been providing care, previous work situations, etc.
- Can you (your agency) provide me with references related to past clients and employers.
- Why did you leave your last position? (If they have not left this position, ask how they plan on coordinating schedules.)
- What are your expectations if I hire you?
- What hours and days will you be available?
- What hourly rate do you expect, and how to you expect to be paid?
- How do you like to get feedback and suggestions?
- What do you like and dislike about home care?