What's the Difference Between a Settlor and a Grantor?

My special needs trust refers to someone called a settlor but my friend's trust has a grantor.  Are these roles different?

Settlor, grantor, trustor and trustmaker are different names for the person or entity that created or established the trust. For example, if a parent created a trust for a child with a disability, then the parent would be named the settlor, grantor, trustmaker, or trustor of the trust, depending on the drafting attorney’s own convention of use; however, there is no difference in treatment if a trust document uses a different name.

Article Last Modified: 05/12/2016

Couldn't find the answer you were looking for? Let us help you.


Planners near Ashburn

  • Ashburn Special Needs Attorney Susan Pollack
    Susan Pollack
    Falls Church, VA

  • Ashburn Special Needs Attorney Loretta Williams
    Loretta Williams
    Fairfax, VA

  • Ashburn Special Needs Attorney Shai Fierst
    Shai Fierst
    Rockville, MD