Gary D. Altman
Altman & Associates
Gary D. Altman
Altman & Associates
GARY ALTMAN is the founder and managing attorney of the Maryland-based estate planning law firm of Altman & Associates, where he has been assisting clients throughout MD/DC/NOVA for more than 25 years. A nationally recognized estate, legacy and business planning authority, Gary's outstanding expertise, trustworthiness and commitment to his clients' needs has earned him recognition by Washingtonian Magazine as among the DC region's "Best Estate Planners". He has been repeatedly honored as a "Top 100 Attorney" by Worth Magazine and likewise recognized as a Maryland and Washington, DC "Super Lawyer". Gary has served as an expert analyst for media outlets such as the Washington Post, The NY Times, The Journal of Financial Adisors and FOX news. He is a member of the bars of Maryland, Virginia,New York and the District of Columbia and specializes in Trusts and Estate Taxation, Probate, Estate Planning, Special Needs Planning, Wills and Trust, Trust Reformation and Litigation. The firm's practice is limited exclusively to estate law; special needs planning; guardianship and conservatorship; elder law; charitable, wills, trusts, pre and post marital agreements; business succession; and asset protection strategies. Mr. Altman's combined legal tax, and financial expertise supports his clients' estate and life planning goals. He works closely with his clients and their advisors to formulate innovative and practical solutions designed to minimize challenges, whether tax-related or safeguarding the well-being of their dependents in the transfer of wealth.
From 1997 until 2004, Mr. Altman was an Adjunct Professor at the Florida Institute of Technology (Alexandria, VA campus), teaching the estate planning segment of its Certified Financial Planner program. From 2015to 2019 he was the Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University teaching the CFP program. He is a member and past President of the Board of Directors of the National Capital Chapter of the Financial Planning Association.Chairman 2008. Past President and Chairman of the National Financial Services Professionals Chapter Washington, DC. 2014-2015 Leadership Montgomery. Past President and Chairman of Hope Connections, a not for profit charity.
Mr. Altman earned his Master of Law in Taxation (LLM) Degree from Georgetown University Law School and his law degree (J.D.) from the New York University School of Law in New York City. He completed a Bachelor of Science degree at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut. Mr. Altman also is a Certified Financial Planner.
Gary is a frequent guest speaker for different financial and charitable groups in the Washington Metropolitan area on all aspects of estate planning as well as his speciality on Generation Skipping Tax. In addition, Gary is personally familiar with the issues surrounding special needs and is considered a tax and special needs expert.
Gary has two children, Matthew and Jill, both married and resides with his wife Elizabeth in Potomac, Maryland. He spends his free time with two labradors, renovating an historic Maryland property, and enjoys wine and cooking pizza in an outdoor pizza oven.
Areas of Practice
- Trusts and Estates Taxation
- Estate Planning
- Special Needs
- Trust Law
- Certified Financial Planner, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1980
- Maryland, 1992
- Virgina, 2017
- New York, 2017
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia, 1992 L.L.M. Major: Taxation
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York, 1980 J.D.
- Wesleyan University, 1977 B.S.
- Adjunct Professor, Estate Planning for Certified Financial Planners, Florida Institute of Technology, Alexandria, Virginia campus, 1997
- CFP Course Georgetown University Estate Planning 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Maryland State Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- National Capital Chapter of Financial Planning, Past President and Board Member
- Wealth Counsel Advisors Forum - Founding Member
- Academy of Special Needs Trust - Founding Member
- Maryland Super Lawyer 2007 - 2020
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer 2007 -2020
- Washingtonian Magazine 2007 -2020 Top Lawyer and Financial Advisor
- Top Attorneys Worh Magazine Top
- Maryland Chamber of Commerce - Member
Bethesda-Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce
- National Capital Chapter of Financial Planning Past President and Chairman 2008
- Maryland Estate Planning Councils - Member
- Washington, D.C. Estate Planning Councils - Member
- National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors - Past President and Chairman
- Serves on several Investment Committees and provides pro-bono community legal assistance.
- May 29, 1955, New York, New York, United States of America
Altman & Associates a Division of Frost Law is a boutique award-winning estate planning law firm serving the Washington Metro Area. MD/DC/NOVA. For more than 30 years, we have utilized a unique blend of legal, tax, and financial expertise to provide clients with solutions in the areas of estate planning, legacy planning, tax planning, special needs planning, business planning, probate and trust administration, and asset protection. Gary has been meeting the long term planning needs of families with special needs and both him and his wife have a personal relationship with special needs planning. The firm knows and understands the concerns, the medical, financial, social and legal issues that come with caring for a loved one with special needs. We encourage you to visit our website in order to learn more about our uniqueness in the legal community, our attorneys and our commitment to our clients. In January 2021, Altman & Associates became a division of Frost Law of Annapolis, MD.
|Monday||8:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Tuesday||8:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Wednesday||8:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Thursday||8:00 AM||6:00 PM|
|Friday||8:00 AM||6:00 PM|
What Is a Special Needs Planner?
Altman & Associates
GARY ALTMAN is the founder and managing attorney of the Maryland-based estate planning law firm of Altman & Associates, where he has been assisting clients throughout MD/DC/NOVA for more than 25 years. A nationally recognized estate, legacy and business planning authority, Gary's outstanding expe...